Monday, September 04, 2006

I Am Harry Chapin

Well, it wouldn't be a holiday weekend without the catastrophic failure of something in the household. We tried to stay away from the house as much as possible so that it wouldn't know it was a holiday - went to the zoo, a baseball game, the Winterthur gardens - but we stayed at home a bit too long on Monday morning. Apparently, sensing we were a little too relaxed, the house mustered up some bad karma and broke the kitchen faucet. Did a pretty good job too - it wasn't just leaking from a little broken part, but the whole thing seemed to at once become porous, and leaked from every exposed surface. It was fine while just sitting there, but as soon as we rinsed out a coffee cup the cabinet underneath filled up to the brim. Luckily the mouse who occasionally makes an appearance completed his WSI certification, and was safely treading water between the dog food and the borax.
After an hour or so of spewing remarkably colorful obscenities (I even surprised myself with a few of them) I managed to wrestle off the old faucet... took the boy to home depot.... and $139 later I have a new kitchen faucet, and a mouse without any recreation center.
On the plus side, the kids are still funny. The other day I scratched Sam with my whiskers when I gave him a kiss, and he asked me what they were. "Whiskers" I said, "when you get big, you'll have whiskers too."
"Yeah," he said, "when I get big I'm going to have whiskers, a big belly and a hairy butt."

... little boy blue and the man on the moon...

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics